Vault 35 is an 11-unit-wide 30% mechanical keyboard kit for enthusiasts interested in a minimalist typing experience. Expanding on the pioneering concept introduced to the community with the QAZ keyboard designed by tominabox1, this design removes a column from the left side of a typical 12-unit-wide 40% keyboard while keeping the right side the same.
The idea behind this and many other 30% keyboards is removing the command and modifier keys (Enter, Tab, Escape, Shift) from the outer columns of the board and replacing them with alphas only. There’s no more need to reach to the left and right with your pinky fingers when everything’s within reach of home row.
A new case style is here! WKL has arrived to accompany your HHKB Vault 35 builds. This new variant is sporting a different set of blockers, but the bezels, typing angle, and overall case style remain the same
- Single-piece frosted milled polycarbonate WKL-style case with four finish options (Clear, Teal, Rose, Navy). *The "Clear" raw polycarbonate units have a slight lavender hue*
- 2.5 degree typing angle
- Updated case bottom which accommodates new custom MechVault long silicone feet. These are placed in a location so that they are not visible during normal use. *The cutouts on this round are incorrectly-sized, leaving 1mm of space on each side of the feet (see Rose bottom picture). This will be corrected in subsequent drops*
- Bottom mount style via plate. The pcb hangs freely within the case
- Polycarbonate 1.6mm CNC plate dyed with its case if applicable for a matching color scheme
- Updated WKL PCB using an RP2040 controller, which will allow for all QMK or Vial firmware features to be enabled with room to spare. This pcb also has 62 integrated RGB LEDs for very smooth-flowing underglow effects. Tone down the brightness for a subtle aesthetic or turn it up to 11 and illuminate your workspace. PCB Firmware is available here.
- Five different bottom row/space bar options with ease of assembly due to KLE guide/reference printed on PCB.
- Designed by projectcain
- Sold as in-stock shipping within one week while supplies last
- Milled polycarbonate case dyed to order
- Vault 35 Black WKL USB-C PCB
- 1.6mm CNC Polycarbonate plate
- Screws, Black silicone MechVault feet
Frequently asked questions:
Is this just a novelty board?
- If you want it to be, sure. However, the amount of people that use this size of keyboard for daily work (regardless of number/symbol/navigation key usage frequency) is growing at a fast pace. With a bit of commitment to the learning curve, most people experience typing speed either returning to what they could achieve on a larger board, or getting even more efficient.
But where are the Q, A, and Z, keys?
- They never left, though a couple of them are a little wider now that they occupy what used to be command or modifier keycap locations. The layout option picture on this product page gives a good example of what a typical base layer for this type of keyboard looks like.
Okay, but how do I use my enter, tab, esc, and shifts now?
- However you want with the power of QMK and Vial firmware. Popular suggestions: Combos. Hit A+S at the same time to get Tab. Hit Q+W at the same time to get Esc. Make the Z and / keys function as shifts when held instead of tapped. These are just a few possibilities of the extensive keymap customization possible.